Separated by a common language


The following note was sent around by the operations manager at IBM India Research:

Date: 05/25/2011 11:50 AM
Subject: Saari Day Tomorrow

Dear Colleagues

Some of our colleagues have suggested to have "Sari Day" in IRL. As tomorrow we have month end party, let’s make Saari day tomorrow. Request you all wear a Saari on this day.

P.S. - Bachelors are not an exception. In case you have excuses - like I don't know how to wear it, the answer is I will help you in wearing it. Or, “I don't have a saari”- So, take it from your mummy or any relative ;-))

_____________________________________________________
I am at a disadvantage here…I don’t have any relatives in India that can lend me a saari…

But the funny part is that I read this note, and then told some of my male colleagues during lunch that EVERYONE has to wear a saari on saari day, even the guys; and the bachelors that can’t “borrow” one from their wives need to borrow one from their mothers.

Well….it turns out that BACHELOR in India refers to men OR women. And so this note was referring to SINGLE WOMEN when it said “Bachelor.” The IBM Research guys will not be obliged to cross-dress on Saari day…

No comments:

Post a Comment